Mobility issues are very common among elderly adults and addressing those issues in meaningful and beneficial ways is one of the most valuable ways that you can help your aging parent maintain a higher quality of life as they age in place. In your role as their family caregiver, there are many opportunities for you to give them this help, but one time is during the holiday season. Giving meaningful gifts that can assist with mobility issues shows your loved one that you want them to live their highest quality of life, and supports activity, engagement, safety, and health.
Let these ideas inspire you for meaningful gifts for a senior with mobility issues:
- Grabber with a long-reaching handle to allow them to reach for and pick up items without straining or climbing.
- Foot-washing mat for the bottom of the tub that provides an exfoliating massage while cleaning the feet so your parent can feel clean and fresh without having to bend over or lift their feet.
- A cane that has multiple feet to provide greater stability and balance for more confidence.
- New shoes that help with support and comfort, and encourage a better gait.
- Decorative cushions to provide support and comfort when sitting in a wheelchair or other chair.
- An organizer that can be placed beside their favorite chair or the couch that can contain items that keep your parent comfortable and minimize how much they have to get up and move around without your assistance or the assistance of a senior care provider. These items can include lip balm, tissues, water, puzzle books, a cordless phone, and other items.
Starting senior care for your aging loved one can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them during the course of your caregiver journey. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your aging parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that they have access to the care, assistance, support, and companionship that they need to handle their individual challenges and limitations, and to pursue an independent and fulfilling lifestyle. These highly personalized services can include everything from access to safe and reliable transportation, to assistance with personal care needs and fulfillment of activities of daily living, to physical support and assistance with mobility needs, and companionship to boost mental and emotional health and well-being. As their family caregiver, this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that both when you are able to be with your parent and when you are not, they will have everything that they need to live the highest quality of life possible as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering senior care in Dallas, TX, please contact the caring staff at Custom Caregivers today. Call us at (972) 702-7988.
- Health and Hygiene: Tips for Seniors and Their Caregivers - April 6, 2020
- The Importance of Nutrition for Seniors - March 16, 2020
- Top 5 Ways to Boost Memory for Seniors - March 2, 2020